On Sunday, February 19, 2023 from 5-8 pm there will be an exhibit reception and lecture. The reception will give you the opportunity to see the exhibit and see a special lecture by Keith Sharp, the director of the Gordon Parks Museum in Fort Scott, Kansa, Park's home town. Mr. Sharp will over some of Gordon Parks work in photography, films, music, writing, poetry and his remarkable life. t/here will also be some discussion about the Gordon Parks Museum and their events in Fort Scott, KS.
The reception is free and open to the public but we would like you to pre register so we can make plans for refreshments and seating for the lecture. The Valley Photo Center is a 501c3 non profit so any donations will be appreciated.
l celebrate Gordon Parks by:
- An exhibit in our gallery of a sampling of some of his work
- An exhibit of photographic prints from our juried Gordon Parks inspired photo contest.
- A display of digital images by Gordon Parks
- A display of digital images from the photo contest not selected for printing
- A free airing of movies directed by Gordon Parks
- A lecture about Gordon Parks by Kirk Sharp, the director of the Gordon Parks Museum in Fort Scott, KS, Gordon Parks' hometown. Please register for this event so we can plan for refreshments and seating.
Gordon Parks "From the Heart" Photo Contest
Gordon Parks once said, "I feel it is the heart, not the eye, that should determine the intent of the photograph. What the eye sees is its own, What the heart can perceive is a very different matter." The theme for this contest is "photographs that your heart told you to make". You can enter any photographs you make that you feel that were made that that you felt passionate about when you made them
You can submit digitally at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once they are judged a 20x30 print will be made for the gallery show. The print will be returned to you after the show.
- Fill out the entry form. You'll be sent an invoice to pay for the entry fee and instructions how to upload files. To enter additional images use another form.
- There will be a $10.00 entry fee per entry for non members.
- The first entry by members is FREE, each additional entry will be $10.00. (You can join the VPC for $25.00, $40.00 for a family CLICK HERE)
- The judges will select 19 images that we'll make 20x30 prints from for display in the exhibit.*
- Images not selected for printing will be displayed digitally in the gallery and on the VPC website.
- There will be a $75.00 Hunt Photo and Video gift certificate prize for the best image, $50.00 for 2nd place, and $25.00 for third place as well as honorable mention ribbons.
- The Deadline for Submissions is January 16, 2022
* After the show the prints will be available to the maker for a small handling charge.